Friday, October 10, 2008

Second language learning

Summary

Both infant bilinguals and learners of an additional language can be called "Second language learner". Learning may be formal or informal such as in classrooms or in playgrounds. Nowadays, the most learned language is likely to be English. Characteristics of learners cause the differences between individual learners. Intelligence, language aptitude and language learning strategies definitely impact their performances. For example, learners who have more intelligence and more gift for language learning will be more easily successful than others. Moreover, the research found that those successful learners have different strategies from those who are not. Besides, language attitudes usually result in performances as well. The learners who are full of motivation devote enormous efforts to reach the goal. In contrast, the anxious learners dare neither to participate in English class nor even to ask when they are confused with how to use the language perfectly. Therefore, their performances tend not to be improved as the confident learners'.
(Mitchell & Myles, pp. 17-20) - Parenthetical citation

Personal Response

I almost totally agree with the above statement. First, good strategies lead us to the goals. For example, when I intended to take TOEFL, I had to draw a good plan to achieve it and I had to benchmark my strategy with others', especially successful learners' in order to be sure that my plan really made sense and had most probability for achievement. Second, good attitudes always support me to do to the best of my ability. Sometimes I lack of confidence to present something to others because I do not believe that I can make it. This bad attitude results in my worse performance. No one will be convinced of my presentation. In contrast, when I perform confidently, the reliability of my presentation is increased. However, I disagree with some of above statement. I think aptitudes and intelligences can be improved if we work hard. From my experience, I have many clever friends in my primary school. They were supposed to achieve in higher studies if their innate abilities really impact their performances. Nevertheless, they could not do it because they do not keep studying hard as other students do. Consequently, other students' performances of studying overpass theirs.

3 comments:

David said...

I think you have smart way in studyng foreign language. And in class room ,you express what you want to say with a variety of vocabularies. Chances are you studied hard when you in your shool days in Thai,didn't you?

Temmi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Temmi said...

Smile girl~~you pointed out very well on reasons why you agree. I think you have own learning method which looks like straight path ^^